Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Why Neonatology?

I've wanted to start a blog for years....to connect with those special people chosen for NICU journeys and to connect with those people trying to help those people chosen for NICU journeys. Although I have been a neonatologist for 10 years..........there's one question that always seems to make me pause........cause my voice to crack...and bring tears to my eyes. It's a simple enough question, "What do you do for a living?" We all answer this question over and over...again and again...and most of us know the answer. It's not that I don't know what I do...I do know...it's that most people understand what I do...what they really want to know is Why I do.

A neonatologist is a pediatrician that specializes in the care of premature infants and sick term infants. Usually when I say that...the next comment i s, "Why?? How sad....I couldn't do that." To that I say.....I was originally led to neonatology because my sister was a preemie and I was fascinated that she had spent the first three months of her life in a plastic box called an incubator. But the longer I live... the more I realize those seeds were planted by God.....this isn't just a job it's a ministry and for that I am grateful. Every time I am in the delivery room....and look into a precious baby's face....I remember we are created in His Image. I think I am looking at His Image. To feel a little chest moving, to see a little heart beating to watch a baby receive what truly is the breath of life... what a gift.

What's more...unfortunately and yes sadly, sometimes the gift is short....and then not only do I get to see His image but I get to see the faces of angels. I am reminded again how precious life is, how precious families are and how precious children are. What a privilege it is to care for them and their families....and I don't take it for granted. I recognize that we will not be able to save every baby...but we can save the human spirit...and that's what it's all about..............and that's why I do Neonatology!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you have chosen that field. It is testimony to your courage and kindness. I am a third year medical student but could never envision myself doing it because it is just too hard for me to handle. Best of luck

    ReplyDelete